Please note that this post was first published in August 6, 2013, and some of the details, links and offers may no longer be active.
Prevention is better than a cure! So don’t wait til your nose is running like Niagra Falls and your head is thumping like you’ve got a hangover til you start giving your immune system some attention.
1. Vitamin D: Scientific research found that vitamin D is 800 times more effective at preventing the flu than the actual flu vaccine. Even though Australia is known as the “Sunburnt Country”, 1 in 3 people are vitamin D deficient and it blows me away how many people are bringing in blood test results showing super low vitamin D levels. Start eating your lunch outside so you can get your 20mins of mid-day sun directly on your skin.
2. Convalesce: I’m always telling my clients to listen to their body. If you had a late night then got up for the early and had a hectic day at work, it’s a good idea to go home and have an early night rather than smashing yourself at the gym for an hour if you don’t honestly feel up to it. Don’t be a hero.
3. Eat vitamin C rich foods: throw some frozen berries in a smoothie, add tomatoes and red capsicum to your salad wrap, chop up some broccoli and Asian greens for your stir-fry. Have a mug of rosehip tea with fresh a slice of fresh ginger in it –this is also FANTASTIC for arthritis and a sneaky way of keeping your fluid levels up in winter!
4. Cut the sugar: Sugar feeds the bad bacteria in your system and helps it grow! Sugar ages the body like the sun ages the skin. Avoid sugary throat lozenges and opt for throat sprays like Greenridge or Olive Leaf Australia.
5. Coconut oil: is antibacterial, antiseptic, antiviral, antifungal, antimicrobial. Have 1 Tbsp every day. It’s great to cook with!
A better immune system means more time in the waves!
Emma the Naturopath xx
Visit Emma’s awesome little health shop (Essential Health) in Coffs Harbour (The Boulevard Arcade Shop 24, Harbour Drv) (02) 6651 4533
See her other 15 posts on our website HERE
Emma Locandro BHSc (Nutritional Medicine), Adv Dip (Naturopathy)
Essential Health 0266 514 533