Please note that this post was first published in December 19, 2012, and some of the details, links and offers may no longer be active.
We’re currently (eye)balls deep in the silly season. For a lot of people the celebrations start the first week on Summer and carry on til mid Jan. So it seemed appropriate to share with you my top 5 hangover tips.
1. Spirulina: Before hitting the sack take a six 500mg spirulina tablets to top up your nutrient levels that get depleted while drinking. The chlorophyll which gives spirulina it’s vibrant green colour is a fantastic blood cleanser. The other option is to throw a teaspoon into your banana smoothie the next day.
2. Nux vomica: Pop these little homeopathic pills under your tongue if you’re feeling queasy and they’ll set you on the right track.
3. Hydration: This is your time to drink (water) like a fish. Water is going to flush out all those nasty toxins from the alcohol. Booze turns off ADH (anti-diuretic hormone) in our brain therefore you pee more than normal which is dehydrating. The trick is to add a pinch of pink Himalayan salt to your glass of water to replace your electrolytes. It’s got over 100 different minerals in it and will help you absorb more water.
4. Avoid coffee: Caffeine is going to dehydrate you even more which is the last thing you need at this stage. Get into dandelion tea or some green tea.
5. Ginger tea: Grate or slice up some fresh ginger, throw in a slice of lemon and a little honey. The ginger acts as an anti-emetic (anti-spew) and the lemon will help to stimulate liver function.
So have fun kids. Have the merriest Christmas and don’t do anything I wouldn’t do..
Emma the Naturopath xx