Please note that this post was first published in August 16, 2017, and some of the details, links and offers may no longer be active.
‘Plain Jane’ (our humble station wagon) couldn’t get us to all of the choice spots in the Northern Territory. A rugged 4WD would have been handy in the top end, but we still found some stunning scenery, wildlife, adventure and good times. Here are our top 5 things about the NT.
1. From the minute we crossed the border and were hit with the rich red earth, the soaring eagles and vast nothingness I was hooked on the freedom of the open road. You are a long way from civilisation and it’s time to connect with nature and have long silent moments of appreciation.
2. So if you love to swim in warm clear water in the middle of an oasis, you will love NT life! Don’t think because it’s 35 degrees that you won’t want to soak in the thermal springs for hours. Bitter springs near Mataranka was our favourite, with Berri springs closer to Darwin. Despite the heat these pools are just what you need, take your goggles, if you think the view from above is idyllic, wait till you duck your head below and be mesmerised by what’s underneath.
3. Culture, art, food! Mindill markets in Darwin. The multi cultured community come together to provide an epic array of food, music and indigenous art and craft. They are timed for the sunset so make sure you have your camera handy for a stella Darwin sunset.
4. Who doesn’t appreciate the prehistoric crocodile! Well your in luck, since the ban of hunting the croc population has increased, you don’t have to look hard to see these big guys sunning themselves on the banks or cruising down the murky waters of Kakadu. We sure had fun croc spotting, just don’t get too close to the edge!
5. Kayaking up the Katherine Gorge was a highlight, you feel so small next to the towering red cliffs. Freshwater crocodiles inhibit the gorge so be prepared to have a close encounter. I could probably come up with more than 5, but if I cram the waterfalls, jabiru’s, billabongs, friendly locals, did I mention the prolific bird life, warm balmy nights in the middle of winter……. etc, etc, I think you get the message, NT is awesome, we still have so much more to experience in the top end, so until next time……
Music care of Juzzie Smith || juzziesmith.com