Please note that this post was first published in March 18, 2013, and some of the details, links and offers may no longer be active.
I read a great quote the other day that said “When you throw something away, it is never really “away” ”. As surfers we need to take responsibility for keeping our beaches and its marine life healthy. It’s all about being MINDFUL of what we throw away because ultimately, it will end up in the waves.
Who loves coffee? Don’t worry; this is not a lecture on coffee drinking. I’ll save that for another post… But take a moment to ponder this:
2.7 MILLION TAKEAWAY COFFEE CUPS ARE THROWN OUT EVERY DAY! And that’s only IN AUSTRALIA! Holy moly… Hello landfill, not to mention the toxic petroleum based plastic lining that is harmful to our health 🙁
1. Take your own mug or reusable stainless steel mug to the café if you’re ordering a takeaway.
2. Stop buying plastic water bottles. Use a refillable stainless steel or glass bottle.
3. Cut your plastic 6 pack ring thingy up with scissors before throwing them in the bin.
4. When you go to buy something new (a wetsuit, iPhone, laptop), decide if it is a NEED or a WANT first. “Cars and phones and diamond rings. These are only removable things” –Jack Johnson.
5. A few protein powder customers use their giant empty tubs for storing tools and bits and pieces in the garage.
6. Buy a bottle of wine instead of a cask. Plus it’s a little classier 😉
7. Take your own bags to the supermarket.
8. Buy the toilet paper brand with the green frog on it that comes in brown paper packaging rather than plastic so you can throw it in the recycling bin.
9. Check out www.take3.org.au a non-profit initiative with a simple message: take three pieces of rubbish with you when you leave the beach, waterway or anywhere, and you have made a difference.
10. Donate to the Sea Shepard whenever you see a donation tin.
Stay MINDFUL. Emma the Naturopath xx
Visit Emma’s awesome little health shop (Essential Health) in Coffs Harbour (The Boulevard Arcade Shop 24, Harbour Drv) (02) 6651 4533
See her first 12 posts on our website HERE
Emma Locandro BHSc (Nutritional Medicine), Adv Dip (Naturopathy)
Essential Health 0266 514 533