Please note that this post was first published in June 11, 2013, and some of the details, links and offers may no longer be active.
As the thickness of your wettie changes with the seasons, so should your diet and lifestyle. Don’t keep eating the same old foods all year round. Change with the seasons and your health will improve which means your surfing will too.
Here in beautiful Coffs Harbour it doesn’t exactly resemble Siberia so you don’t need to be eating hot meals three times a day. However it’s a good idea to be eating less raw salads and start cooking your food a little bit more than you would in the summer months.
Invest in a slow cooker. You just throw your vegies and meat in there before work with a stock cube and some tinned tomatoes and then when you walk through the door at 6pm you’re greeted by the most delicious stew and the smell has permeated through the whole house. It’ll make the neighbours jealous.
The goal in winter is to warm your system internally as the surface of your body cools down. It is a time to rest, conserve energy and most importantly, keep warm. That means exercising without overexerting yourself, rugging up in ugg boots and flanno’s and going to bed a little earlier.
Emma’s Top 5 Tips to a Healthier Winter
1. Eat slightly heavier but nutrient dense foods like lamb and vegie stew and hot porridge.
2. Incorporate some fresh ginger and turmeric into your diet to improve blood flow around the body. Eg. grate ginger into stir fry’s, sprinkle turmeric on your poached eggs.
3. Increase good quality oils into your diet to stop your hair and skin from drying out. Eg. add 2 tsp of coconut oil and 2 tsp of chia seeds to your porridge.
4. Eat lots of root vegies like sweet potato, swede, parsnip and turnip. These make a great healthy mash instead of just straight potatoes.
5. Stay hydrated throughout the day by increasing herbal teas like rosehip (super high in vitamin C), raspberry leaf, dandelion root and fresh lemon and ginger.
Emma the Naturopath xx
Visit Emma’s awesome little health shop (Essential Health) in Coffs Harbour (The Boulevard Arcade Shop 24, Harbour Drv) (02) 6651 4533
See her first 13 posts on our website HERE
Emma Locandro BHSc (Nutritional Medicine), Adv Dip (Naturopathy)
Essential Health 0266 514 533